Lawrence Wright has been on a book tour promoting his new expose of Scientology, Going Clear. I had a chance to see him interviewed by Kim Masters at a book event in L.A. last week. It was a great night. Lawrence had a very receptive audience who were amazed to hear stories about the Sea Org, disconnection, Free Loader debts and the blind eye given to Scientology’s abuses by their Hollywood spokespeople. One of his strongest moments was when he said Cruise and Travolta had a moral responsibility to reform Scientology.
Recordings weren’t allowed at the event but when the book first came out Kim had interviewed Lawrence for public radio. The full unedited radio interview can be heard here. Of course Tony Ortega had the most extensive coverage at The Underground Bunker.
After the book event Tory and I had a chance to speak with both Lawrence and Kim Masters. Tory has been a key source for both of these journalists and was asked to stand up and be acknowledged during the presentation. I just basked in her glory.
I took a break from editing in the past couple weeks to head up to L.A. and do a couple more interviews for my new documentary, Knowledge Report. Tory Christman has been my friend since she left Scientology. She sat down with me to talk about her experiences both inside the organization and what actions they have taken against her since she publicly departed.
And Jason Beghe made a big splash on the net four years ago when we sat down to do his first interview about Scientology. We felt it was about time to update his story both for the film and for another revealing long form interview for the net. Here’s a teaser of what’s in store:
By the way, the latest fundraising campaign for my film ends in a little more than a day. If you’d like to contribute or just spread the word, click here.
UPDATE: May 31, 2011:
My YouTube channels are once again back online and streaming. Thanks to everyone who contacted YouTube and KESQ and supported the channels’ return.
Last night Tory and I went to see Strangers on a Train on the big screen, then we shot a little video on her webcam about my YouTube situation and some of the fun I had as I visited the Tampa Idea Org’s open house.
Continue reading “Update on YouTube with Magoo Video”
Marty Rathbun posted this remarkable inside look at the lengths Scientology went to in their attempts to silence Tory Christman, including a black op (quoted below) to get her fired from her job. This program reads exactly like a Fair Game attack that would have been created by the Guardian’s Office under Hubbard back in the 70’s.
9. Get Chad Garret (PI in LA) to use one of his resources to become a client of SMC and get assigned to Tory as a business coach (this can be done to first apply and then call in and asked to be put through to Tory’s extension as if she was transferred to her by the main switchboard).
10. Get the new client hook up with Tory and get coached by her to set up a personal business.
11. As Tory gets the coaching done get the client to become upset and bring it to her attention so she gets the warning that she is doing something wrong.
12. Get the new client to complaint with management because Tory is not doing her job well and demand the money back because the client is no longer interested in SMC.
13. Repeating Target: Get postings done in business newsgroups where they also discuss SMC. Post about Tory being incompetent and unprofessional.
14. Get a SMC client to find the postings and bring to the attention of SMC and let them know that this is not causing a good PR for the company and of it is true that this woman (Tory) is so unprofessional.
15. Concurrently have other “clients” call into SMC and make complaints about Tory being rude and incompetent.
16. Repeating Target: Continue to make noise till the company has no choice (due to the amount of bad publicity happening) other than firing Tory.
Read the full leaked document at Marty’s website along with Tory’s comments about the campaign waged against her.
UPDATE: Tony Ortega has written about this at the Village Voice and Tory has posted a video about the revelations.
Steve and Tory sat down and shot a video conversation which Steve put up on Vimeo. Tory was in Scientology for 30 years before publicly leaving the group back in 2000. Steve Hassan is the author of two critically acclaimed books – Combatting Cult Mind Control: The #1 Best-selling Guide to Protection, Rescue, and Recovery from Destructive Cults (1988) and Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves (2000). His web site is freedomofmind.com.
A new play about Jack Parsons is being performed in his old stomping grounds of Pasadena. While it primarily is about Parsons, L. Ron Hubbard is a character in the play.
Lisa Derrick has a review of the show up at the Huffington Post.
Parsons was a bohemian, an occultist, a follower of Aleister Crowley, and the victim of a swindle at the hands of L. Ron Hubbard long before Hubbard founded Scientology. Parson’ strange life in Pasadena is the subject of a play at California Institute of Technology’s theatre department where science students stretch their perceptions of reality in grease paint and costumes. In Pasadena Babalon, written by George Morgan under the direction of Brian Brophy, the cast explore Parsons’ multi-layered life.
Read Lisa’s full review and get yourself some front row tickets while you can. It sounds like a great night in the theater.
Tory talked about seeing the play in a new video.
In 2008 a group called Anonymous arrived, ready to expose the abuses of the “church” of Scientology. Many X-Scientologists and Critics joined them for the first picket, totaling 9,000 around the world. This next week-end is their/our 2nd Anniversary picket, and this is my request for ALL who can to please come celebrate the many wonderful things Anonymous and critics have helped bring about.
Where to find your picket
Often people ask me about any successes I had while “in” Scientology so this video tells about one of my key successes having to do with one of their Assists, given to Karen Black years ago, and seeing Karen Black in the movie STUCK last night.